Wednesday, February 16, 2011

London Pride


TIW favourite The Harp has been voted CAMRA's pub of the year - the first time ever for a London pub.

Is it the best pub in Britain? It's all highly subjective of course, but The Harp is certainly in my personal top five, and is easily my favourite London boozer. It's been my default Zone 1 destination for years. The Harp just gets it all right. Always busy, but never too busy to get you served quickly and with a smile. Genuine, unforced character and seven or eight ales and real ciders - It's where I first fell in love with Dark Star's Hophead*. No music, no idiots and I've never once had a bad pint. Proper, Northern-style friendliness, too. The Harp is one of the few places in London where you can strike up a conversation with a total stranger without them secretly dialling 999.

*pictured here on one of the rare occasions we've managed to bag one of the window seats.

4 comments:

ennislaw said...

The Harp, indeed, is a lovely pub and I visit whenever I'm in London. However, The Gunmakers is my personal favorite!

pge

TIW said...

I've only been to the Gunmakers once, and it was mid-afternoon so dead as a dodo. Well worth another visit though!

Tandleman said...

I like the Harp a lot, but they have sparklers (on request) in the Gunmakers.

TIW said...

I think the Harp will do a sparkler - pretty sure they obliged me once on a Landlord, though I usually have the Southern brews in there.