Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Forty Years On

Later this year, I turn 40. Most of my mates reached this alarming milestone in the past few months. We're each strapping on our ale beards to try 40 beers that are new to us over the 365 days from our birthdays. It's not much of a challenge is it? just over three-quarters of a pint per week, if you do spread it over a year. You could conceivably blow your beer beans at a decent-sized festival, or a weekend in Belgium or Germany.  Of course, the new beers are to be enjoyed alongside what you'd normally sup. Any beer counts - even the trampagne from the local Londis. it's just got to be new to the participant. Being the group's tame designer I've knocked up a booklet (cover left) that we can carry with us to record what we drink and what it tastes like. I need the discipline. I've indulged in some shameless tickery before, but I usually scribble what I've had on the back of a damp beermat that ends up going through the washing machine. I've had my share of different ales, but with today's kaleidescopic choice of global micro and macro brews, finding 40 new beers should be an easy and enjoyable experience. Yes, I do realise how chin-strokingly nerdy this all sounds. What can I say? I'm a chin-stroking nerd.

4 comments:

Affer said...

Firstly, happy birthday in advance! 40 is a wonderful age........

Secondly, the idea of committing to tasting 40 new beers is a SUPERB idea! I'm just thinking of the fun you'll have on the 364th day when you have only hit 22 of them.........

TIW said...

I'm not dreading turning forty, like some of my mates were/are - and if I can legitimately spend more time in the pub, that's a bonus!

Melissa Cole said...

I think this is an awesome idea and wish I'd thought of it for my last milestone - dammit!

If you are in need of inspiration then check out my blog - I periodically put random lists of what I consider to be great beers up there along with other beery stuff.

Look forward to hearing updates on this project.

TIW said...

Hi Melissa, thanks for dropping by. I'm a frequent visitor to your blog - it was one of the inspirations for starting my own.