Monday, April 28, 2008

Can The Can

Tenorio

L'Espandon

Les Enfandines

Rizzoli

These fish tins were part of a collection that I've just thrown away. I'd picked them up over the years from various European countries. They're all long past their use-by date and I was worried that if one should split, the resulting stink might render our house uninhabitable for days, possibly weeks. Idiosyncratic packaging and fish seem to go together. I'm especially fond of the Tenorio one - just have a look at those sideburns. Who this singer was, I've never been able to find out, but at some point in the distant past this Portuguese canning company sought to celebrate him like this. L'Espadon is just plain surreal, but gets to the point - it's all about fish and ships. I wonder why the artist who drew the kids on Les Enfandines chose to show them looking so alarmed? Then finally, we've got the three Rizzoli dwarves urging you to 'eat good' - I picked this up in Rome.

Actually - I like the Tenorio one so much, I think i'm going to retrieve it from the bin.

No comments: